Friday, May 6, 2011

No Bake Bars

Yesterday I got to be outside the whole day playing in the dirt and planting stuff in the garden and the flower garden, my definition of a perfect day! Atleast until my back said otherwise! Last night was a hot tub night for sure...the ol back didn't like the ALL day idea like my brain did.  My husband's ideas are so different than mine when it comes to landscaping and it always ends up in a "disagreement"  He likes things in perfect lines and in certain places and his thinking is that less is more. He doesn't like me planting flowers and bushes and things all over the place by the house and definitley not in his back yard.  He would rather there be a garden for the flowers and then keep them all in that area and nowhere else. I am just the opposite and I love flowers and plants and want them surrounding me, in no particular order. Growing up in the country that is more or less how we did it.  So he and I butt heads when planning where to plant what. So when I can, I just do it before he comes home from work and has a "say" in it!  But, yesterday I ran into needing him to dig some holes for me(after the ol back went out) and carry some heavy bags of soil....so last night he got a bit grumpy after finding out my plans of where I was planting things, whoops.  This is why we need to find some land and move into the country, you would think in the Heart of America, smack dab in the wheat capital of the world, in good ol OZ land, we could find some land...but, nope, it is all "farm" land and if any of it comes up for sale, it is hundreds of acres for a "farmer" to buy, atleast in NW Kansas.  Both my husband and I grew up in the country, so that is what lives on in our hearts and we are not happy until we are back there again.  Then (and only then) can I plant things where I want them and as many things as I want. And I can have animals galore! I want a piggy and rabbits and a sheep and definitley horses and cows, oh, and a fainting goat...those things are funny.  Then I will have peach and apple and pear trees and blueberry and blackberry bushes and a MUCH bigger garden...I'm talking sale my own produce kind of garden. I want lilac bushes and on and on. I know...I have a "wild" heart.....the only thing is that right now it can't run free(because it doesn't have the land too!).
With a soak in the hot tub and a good nights sleep the hubby is happy again and later in the summer when all those pretty flowers are a bloomin, he will be happy he went along with my ideas!

On to the recipe:  I can't remember which blog I got this recipe, but I did change it up from the original. These are a great snack for the long summer days and besides the corn syrup in them, they are somewhat healthy!  The kids can help make these and you don't have to turn on your oven and make the kitchen all hot.
No bake snack bars
4C cheerios
2C rice krispies
2C m&m's
1C corn syrup
1C sugar
11/2C peanut butter
1tsp vanilla
optional: add raisins,crasins,peanuts
In a big bowl, mix together cherrios, rice krispies, and m&m's (and any optional ingredients). Set aside. In a saucepan, cook sugar and corn syrup until it boils and mix until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. Pour over cereal mixture and mix well. Grease a 15x10x1 and spread into pan, or into a 13x9 for thicker bars. Let cool and cut.
Use seasonal M&M's to be festive with the colors!
This recipe is linked to Mandy's recipe box, Totally Tasty Tuesday's

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...