Saturday, February 26, 2011

Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches

Sorry about the bad picture...I need a better camera! But, these sandwiches really are awesome, the picture doesn't do them justice.  What is really nice is they cook in the crockpot all day...BONUS!
My kids love these and they like when I reserve the juice and put it in a bowl so they can "dip" the sandwich in it...so, it's kind of like an italian/french dip! The secret to these sandwiches is to use real cheese, not the imitation stuff and to use a good italian bread....I know, I said I don't eat white flour, but this is one exception and I don't use wheat on this.  Very easy meal and it makes a lot of meat! This would work great to put on low before bed on a Saturday night and let it cook during church and when you get home it would be ready to shred and eat for lunch!

Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
11/2C beef broth(I boil water and add 2beef bouillon cubes)
1C water
1t salt
1t pepper
1t garlic powder
1(.7)pkg dry italian seasoning mix
1 5pd roast(use lean) I have also used a 2pd with the same amount of seasoning
Combine water and beef broth and seasonings and stir to combine.  Place roast in the crockpot and pour the seasoning over the top.  Cook on low 10-12hours, less if it's a smaller roast. Or cook on high 4-5hours. My crockpot is a beast and I cook it on high and it's done in 3 hours, so just check on it after 4hours on high to see if it shreds easily or not.  When done cooking, take two forks and shred the meat, ridding any fat.  This is why you want to use a lean roast, it makes this part much quicker and easier. Take your hoagie rolls and open them flat on a cookie sheet, butter the top side and place drained meat on the other side. Place swiss cheese on top of the meat and leave laying open and broil for 3-5minutes or until cheese is melted and the buttered side is browning....watch closely! Those broilers are sneaky things and can burn bread quickly!  I usually have lots of shredded meat left over and I freeze it for another meal. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...