Friday, January 21, 2011

Quick and Easy Lasagna

I grew up with mom making the long version of lasagna, which was awesome, but now days I don't have the time. So this is a yummy and quick way. I think you could even adapt it to a crockpot. It makes a 13X9 and we never eat that much at once, so I help myself out and split it into 2 (8x8) dishes and place one in the freezer. Have you ever done that? It so nice to have a meal in the freezer on days I don't feel good or am too busy to cook, or if you want to give one away. As my 11 year old son continues to grow (and eat!) this method may not work, but for now it works awesome. I do this with every recipe that calls for a 13X9 size and if I do that a few times in one week, well, I get a few extra freezer meals...which equals awesome in my book! I like how velveeta cooks creamy and cheesey, but I don't like that it is processed and so unhealthy. If I do use velveeta, I get the 2% because you can not tell that it is lower in fat. When I don't use velveeta I get the natural shredded cheese. In this recipe it calls for lasagna noodles, but I used what I had and used egg noodles. I step up the nutrition and always get noodles that are whole grain and high in fiber,etc and with dishes like this, you can not tell the difference. I always get my beef from family who raise their own, so I know there are no horomones and nasty stuff in it and it is very lean. Of course, the sauce is all natural as well. This dish just shows that you can make a meal unhealthy, or you can analyze it, and make it much healthier then it could have been, just by making a few wiser choices.
Remember that saying?.....you are what you eat! I like my sweets and fries like anyone else, but the key is moderation....and study your recipe and see where you can make healthier choices, like buying light or low sodium, 100%whole grain, unprocessed,etc.

Quick and Easy Lasagna
16 lasagna noodles, cook and drain (I used what noodles I had, egg noodles)
2pd ground beef, cook and drain
1 (28oz jar) spaghetti sauce
1pd cubed velveeta
Cook noodles and drain. Cook beef and drain. Add sauce to beef and heat through. Rinse and drain the noodles. Grease a 13x9 dish, layer 1/3 meat and half noodles and then 1/2 cheese. Repeat. Top with the rest of the meat sauce. Cover and bake at 350 for around 35min
Note: I will add a layer of cottage cheese next time to keep it moister
Source: I got this from a magazine years ago, but don't remember which one

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...