Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Applesauce

Did I ever score! My mom is in town and we went to the store to find $0.99 bags of granny smith apples! Mom got 7 or 8 bags and her and my 5yr old got busy and made applesauce....yeah for me! Now, I have tons of yummy applesauce in the freezer! It's so great when my mom comes to town, I get all kinds of yummy cookin! And she keeps my kids entertained when I am too tired to play!
Today is my hubby's birthday, he is 36...that is now officially closer to 40 than 30.....wow! That sounds strange! Not old, just strange! I love you Kyle and I am SO glad you are my bestest friend and partner in life! I will not post his favorite supper of all time, which I'm making tonight for his birthday, because well, um, it's Spaghetti! Not much to it, but he loves the stuff and can't get enough of it! Makes it easy on me I guess! But, I will post the yummy applesauce my mom and daughter made that we will serve with it....I should also post the peach pie and grape pie she made too, and then her awesome monster cookies I can't get enough of, but that will be for another day(I gain like 5pounds when my mom visits!).
Applesauce
6pds granny smith apples
1tsp lemon juice
1C sugar
1tsp cinnamon
1/8tsp nutmeg
Peel, core and chop apples. Add the apples to a big stockpot and put 1C water in the pot and bring to a boil. After it starts to boil, turn the heat down and simmer for 25minutes, COVERED,stirring every so often. After this is done simmering, stir well enough to get the consistency you want. It will look watery, but the longer you stir the more it sets up and the smoother it will become. I made one batch very smooth and it took about 5-10minutes of constant stirring. The other batch I made somewhat chunky..I love both ways.  After stirring add in 1tsp lemon juice and stir. Then add 1C sugar, 1tsp cinnamon and 1/8tsp nutmeg and stir well.  Let cool and ladle into mason jars or ziploc bags and freeze. Or you can process them in a hot water bath and can them.  You can also adapt this recipe to the slow cooker!

Visit the blog Mommy's Kitchen to join the link party


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...