Monday, May 9, 2011

Spinach Bacon Cheese Quiche

I love Paula Deen's down home cookn, it is true comfort food(and truly fattening!).  I just take her recipes and adjust the ingredients to low fat and I rarely notice any difference in taste(probably because I feel MUCH better about cutting down the fat!).  It was hot today and I did not want to turn on my oven and heat up the house, but I wanted this quiche and had the ingredients for it that needed to be used before they spoiled.  SO, I got out my new toaster oven.  I had an old one that we got when we married, but it is too small to fit most dishes so I went and got me an extra large toaster oven and it's perfect.  I love to use this kitchen appliance during the summer months so that I don't heat up the house, I even move it out to the garage during the real hot days.  This quiche fits perfectly in this toaster oven and I didn't have any hot flashes while it cooked!  I try to grill and use my crockpot a lot during the summer to keep the house cool.  I hope you all had a terrific Mother's Day! We went to church and out to my MIL to have pizza and dessert(not so healthy, but a very yummy treat) and then I came home to study most of the day, UGH! I have a huge essay due and lots of work to go on it.   I want to wish my mom a Happy Mother's Day(since I didn't post yesterday) and thank her for being so fun and I am thinking of you extra today as you experience your first Mother's day after the loss of your son(my brother), I know it's a tough day for you as you reflect on his life and being his mom for 36 years.  I also am thinking extra of my MIL as she also celebrates her first Mother's day after the loss of her daughter a few weeks ago. As you both reflect on their lives and your time as their mother, may you find comfort in the memories and God's love for you.  Day by Day God will help us all to press on and press through this tough time.  You are both wonderful mother's and I am so blessed to have each of you in my life.
Spinach Bacon Cheese Quiche-Paula Deen
1pd bacon, cooked and crumbled(I use the new Farmland brand that is All Natural and does not contain nitrogens, preservatives, hormones,etc)
6 large eggs, beaten
11/2C heavy cream(I have not yet tried my 2% to see if that will work)
salt and pepper
2C fresh baby spinach, chopped
1C shredded cheese(I use freshly grated sharp cheese)
1 pie crust, I use Pillsbury
Preheat oven to 375. Combine eggs, salt and pepper and cream in a blender. Layer the bacon, cheese, spinach,(and I add in fresh mushrooms)in the bottom of the pie crust and then pour the cream mixture over the top. Bake 35-45minutes, or until the egg mixture is set. Cut into 8 wedges.
This recipe is linked to Potluck Sunday at Mommy's Kitchen


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...