Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hamburger Casserole



I don't know what else this casserole is called, except EXTREME comfort food! This is one of the first recipes I got from my mother-n-law when I got married almost 12 years ago and it is my favorite go to recipe. My MIL has the best collection of recipes and is a wonderful cook. I want this casserole whenever I had a baby, or a surgery, or just didn't feel well...it is bland, but flavorful and very good for you. Kids love it and can't get enough of it...so that makes this a real winner! I have changed it just a bit, but only to make it healthier. This recipe is one that we have to have cottage cheese with and mix it in before eating, makes it so much better...for some reason. I hope your family enjoys this for years to come like mine has....and it makes a ton too! I could see putting this is in the crockpot before church and coming home to it being done, I haven't tried that, but if you put it on high it should work(atleast with my beast of a crockpot!).


Hamburger Casserole


1-2pds cooked ground beef


3 potatoes, peeled and sliced thin


4-5large carrots, sliced


1C brown rice, uncooked


1can diced tomatoes, don't drain


1/2can hot water


Cook beef and drain and place in a 2qt dish. Layer sliced potatoes on top of beef. Layer carrots on top of this and then layer the uncooked rice. Dump the can of diced tomatoes on top and carefully spread around to cover the rice. Take the 1/2can hot water and pour over any rice that didn't get wet and take a knife and run around the pan, letting the water run down into the food. This will also help to steam, or cook, the food. Place foil on top and bake at 325 for two hours. Sometimes liquid will remain at the bottom, just use a slotted spoon. The original recipe calls for white rice and also to add chopped raw onion on top of the beef. YUMMY!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...